Skip to main content

How To Help

Suspected Abuse/Wildlife Concerns

Suspect Animal Abuse?

We encourage anyone witnessing or suspecting abuse to call one of the following numbers immediately: 

  • 1-833-9ANIMAL (1-833-926-4625)
  • Crime Stoppers 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
  • Ontario Provincial Police 1-888-310-1122
  • Ontario Provincial Police (Kawartha Lakes) 705-324-6741
  • Kawartha Lakes Police Services 705-324-5252

Abuse needs to be reported as soon as possible!  Pets left in HOT or FREEZING VEHICLES is ABUSE!  Call your local police department or 1-833-926-4625 if you see a pet left in this type of situation.  If the vehicle is in a store or plaza parking lot, report this to a store manager or security.

No excuses, no hot pets.

Farm Animal Concerns?

For more information on Farm & Food Care and OMAFRA Resources, click here to be redirected to the Ministry of Agriculture, Food & Rural Affairs.

Wildlife Concerns?

If you have any information regarding concerns for wildlife, please contact the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) at 1-877-847-7667.  The Humane Society of Kawartha Lakes does not have the staff, equipment or facility to assist with abused or injured wildlife or wildlife that needs to be relocated. Please, click here for a link to helping wildlife in Ontario.

Wildlife help and rehabilitation resources:
*Note: Several of these facilities are charities.  Please, keep in mind that they too, may have limited staff, equipment and space.

Wildlife Rehabilitation (Ontario)

Kawartha Wildlife Centre (Ennismore)

Shades of Hope (Pefferlaw)

Soper Creek Wildlife Rescue (Durham Region)

OSPCA Wildlife Rehabilitation (Midland)

Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary (Rosseau)

Toronto Humane Society Wildlife Centre (Toronto)

Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre (Napanee)

Serenity Wildlife (Barrie)

Turtle Trauma Centre/Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre (Peterborough)

Heaven Can Wait Equine Rescue (Cameron)

Wing & Prayer - Song Birds/Raptors/Migratory Birds (Bracebridge)

Friends of the Osprey (Lindsay)