Skip to main content

Our Services

Lost & Found Pets

Have you found or lost a pet?

HSKL remains dedicated to our community’s stray, lost, owned, abandoned, neglected, injured and sick animals. If you know of an animal at risk that would normally be reported to the City, and the City’s new service level excludes that animal, HSKL will still care for it at the shelter and work toward its best outcome. 

All animal welfare organizations have a role to play in our community, and HSKL remains committed to working collaboratively with the municipality and other organizations in that regard.

 Please note that we do not have the resources to pick up animals.

What to do with a stray cat?

Contact us by:

  1. Phone at 705-878-4618
  2.  Email at
  3. On our Facebook page through messenger

We work as quickly as we can to help all animals (stray, owned, abandoned, sick or injured) in need in our community, and you can call us for support if you know of such an animal. Please understand that during some periods of the year, animal rescues and shelters are extremely busy and cannot accept animals right away. Emergencies will always take priority, but we will respond promptly to requests for our services. We work as swiftly as possible to move animals into homes to make room for the next animals in need. 

Please note: Municipally funded cat kennel services and the Feral Cat TNRM program are temporarily on hiatus. Since municipally funded cat kennel services will not be available with the new short-term vendors, the municipality will not take in stray domestic cats at this time.

The HSKL and the municipality remain steadfast in their dedication to providing services that keep animals safe from harm. In this way, the HSKL and the municipality will continue to share and support each other’s programs and levels of service.

What to do with a stray dog?

If you've lost or found a domestic dog, please report it to the Municipal Law Enforcement and Licensing office immediately.

During regular business hours Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 4:30pm call 705-324-9411 extension 1212.

Outside of regular business hours call the after-hours line, 705-928-3054, and leave a detailed message.

Who do I report animals that are injured, in pain, sick, suffering or abused to?

For animals that are injured, in pain, sick, suffering or abused, please contact Animal Welfare Services via the Ontario Animal Protection Call Centre at 1-833-926-4625 or follow this link for details.

Missing Pet

Contact us by:

  1. Email at
  2.  On our Facebook page through messenger
  3. Call us at 705-878-4618

In your message, please include the following information

  • Date animal went missing
  • Age of animal
  • Species/ Breed/ Color
  • Distinctive markings
  • Area the animal went missing from
  • Male/Female/ Spayed/ Neutered
  • A picture of your missing pet

With this information we will be able to notify you if an animal comes in matching that description. We will also post your missing pet on social media and our website to assist with getting the word out.

Check our website and social media regularly as we will post stray cats that are brought in.

For missing dogs, visit the CITY OF KAWARTHA LAKES FACEBOOK PAGE regularly for pictures of found dogs in their care.