Thank you for choosing the Humane Society of Kawartha Lakes!
By adopting from an animal shelter, you are saving a life and providing a wonderful animal with a second chance!
- Step 1: Once you have met an animal who you are interested in adopting, the staff will ask you to complete an adoption application. All the information requested on the application form is important and allows shelter staff to make the most appropriate decisions for the animals.
- Step 2: Shelter staff will review your completed application and if you appear to be a potentially suitable home for the animal, an interview will be arranged. Staff will let you know if there are any points on your application that require further clarification.
- Step 3: In the adoption interview, staff will review your application with you and discuss your ability to meet the needs of the animal you wish to adopt. You may be asked additional questions or be provided with more detailed information regarding the animal for which you have applied.
- Step 4: Following the interview, staff will let you know if you are a good match - and if so, the adoption will proceed! Some of our animals are lucky enough to receive more than one adoption application. In that case, we must choose the most suitable family. We encourage these applicants to consider some of the other less fortunate animals that are still waiting for their second chance and a new home.
- Step 5: Once you have been approved for an adoption, there is additional paperwork to complete and an adoption fee to be paid before you can take your new friend home. The adoption fee covers spaying/neutering, identification, deworming, and vaccinations. It also allows the HSKL, a charitable organization - to recoup a small portion of the costs incurred while providing care and/or rehabilitation to the animals.
If the pet you chose is too young to be spayed/neutered before adoption, you need to discuss options with our Animal Care team.
If you have any questions regarding the adoption process, please visit us or phone us at 705-878-4618.