Volunteer Rights and Responsibilities
Volunteers of Humane Society of Kawartha Lakes have Rights and Responsibilities. These Rights and Responsibilities are in keeping with HSKL's mission and vision and promote respectful and rewarding relationships among, volunteers, staff and the community.
- The Coordinator will provide each new volunteer with a copy of the Volunteer Rights and Responsibilities during the orientation process. The Coordinator will review the rights and responsibilities to ensure volunteer understanding.
- Each volunteer will have opportunities to ask questions to ensure understanding.
- You will be treated with dignity and respect.
- You will be treated as a co-worker.
- You will have the support of other volunteers and staff.
- You will be given a suitable assignment with consideration for personal preference, skills and education.
- You may request help if a job is too large or strenuous.
- You will receive orientation when starting the position and on-going training to update and refine skills.
- You will receive guidance and direction.
- Your comments and concerns regarding working conditions or clients will be addressed by your Coordinator/Manager.
- You will be heard, have a part in planning, and be shown respect for your opinion.
- You will be appreciated and recognized for your service.
- Your personal information will be kept confidential.
- You will work in a safe environment.
- You may refuse to do any task that you feel to be unsafe.
As a volunteer, you have the responsibility to:
- Understand your volunteer role.
- Carry out the duties promptly and reliably to the best of your ability.
- Be sincere in the offer of service. Be loyal to the organization.
- Maintain the dignity and integrity of the organization.
- Maintain standards of confidentiality regarding organization information.
- Participate in orientation and ongoing training.
- Accept the guidance and decisions of your Coordinator/Manager.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with others and work within the boundaries of the volunteer position description.
- Collect specified fees and remit according to organization policy.