Frequently Asked Questions

What HSKL does...

  • Adopt out animals to forever homes
  • All cats/dogs are spayed/neutered, micro-chipped and up to date on all shots before they go home
  • We offer rebates to those who adopt kittens/puppies that are too young to be spayed/neutered
  • Accept animals who's owners have passed away
  • Accept surrender animals who's owners are moving and cannot take them.  Note that you NEED TO CALL before you bring your animal to us, as we need to make sure we have space for your pet.  If we are full, you will be placed on a wait-list
  • Accept surrender animals that you cannot take care of anymore
  • Investigate reports of cruelty in the City of Kawartha Lakes
  • Educate the public on humane treatment of animals.  We can even come to your school or club to speak on the topic
  • Participate in OSPCA education and awareness programs ex. No Hot Pets, 
    Have a Pet? Get a Vet! etc.
  • Send our staff members and agent to training sessions to learn more about animal care and shelter operations 
  • Make sure that our animals that need to see a vet, see a vet!
  • Employ a visitation program with our adoptable cats to various long-term care facilities within the City of Kawartha Lakes
  • Respond to daily call and inquiries regarding stray and/or feral cats

HSKL does not do...

  • Offer spay/neuter services to the public or pay for private spay/neuter
    (please see our Spay/Neuter Clinic list)
  • Take you neighbours cat into our custody because it comes into your yard
  • Euthanize animals to make room for more
  • Turn away animals who's owners have passed away and have no where to go
  • Ignore animals who are seriously injured

Suspicion of Cruelty

I need to report animal abuse, what do I do?

We encourage the public to call OSPCA’s dedicated cruelty hotline 310-SPCA (7722) This call is FREE to you!
You can also contact:  OSPCA at 1-888-668-7722 ext. 327
                                        Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477)
For more information, please visit our Report Abuse home page



How can I donate?

You can donate on-line, call us at 705-878-4618, mail us a cheque or drop-by in person.

What can I donate?

We accept monitory donations and item donations.  Please refer to our Shelter Wish-List , for our most needed items.

Do you take credit card donations over the phone?

Yes, we will take your credit card donation over the phone.  Please ask us about our Monthly Donor program. This program helps us to be better able to predict our monthly cash flow.

How do I become a monthly donor?

Great question!  Contact us for more information on this exciting program!  

If I donate, am I eligible for an in-kind, service or charity receipt?

In-kind donations must have a cash receipt to accompany the items.  We cover 100% of the cost, minus any tax.

Services donation, please contact us at

We can arrange for you to receive a charity receipt.  For monitory donations, we can provide charity receipts for $25+, upon request.


I have a concern about a wildlife injury, can you help?

Unfortunately, we do not have the facilities to attend to injured wildlife.

If you have any information regarding concerns for wildlife, please contact the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) 1-877-847-7667,

Please note the organizations below that attend to wild life issues or rehabilitation:

Wildlife Rehabilitation

OSPCA Wildlife Rehabilitation (Midland)

Toronto Humane Society Wildlife Centre

Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary

Shade of Hope (Pefferlaw)

Turtle Trauma Centre (Peterborough)

Heaven Can Wait Equine Rescue (Cameron)

Wing & Prayer - Song Birds/Raptors/Migratory Birds (Bracebridge)

Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre (Napanee)

Friends of the Osprey (Lindsay)

Serenity Wildlife (Barrie)

Pit Bull Ban

Where can I find more information on the Pitt Bull Ban?

Under the Dog Owners Liability Act (DOLA), which falls under the Ministry of the Attorney General, Pit Bulls are illegal in the province of Ontario, with the exception of restricted Pit Bulls.

As a law enforcement agency, the Ontario SPCA works within legislation to provide the best possible care for animals entrusted to us.

Every dog involved in a DOLA case is assessed individually and a plan is developed to meet the specific needs of that animal. When we are working with an adoptable Pit Bull-type dog, we will look for alternative options for the animal, including transferring them out of the province where they are legal to own.

Spay/Neuter Clinics

Can you give me low-cost spay/neuter information?

Of course!  Please, see below...

Marion Vernon Memorial Animal Clinic (Barrie)
Phone: 705-734-9883

Ontario SPCA Centre Veterinary Hospital Spay/Neuter Services (Stouffville)
Phone: 905-898-6112 ext. 384
Toll-free: 1-888-668-7722

Lincoln County Humane Society Animal Clinic (St. Catharines)
Phone: 905-688-7722

Toronto Low Cost Spay and Neuter Clinic - NOTE: Cats Only
Phone: 416-338-6281


What should I do if I find a stray cat?

First, be sure the cat is actually a stray and not just a neighbours cat.  If possible, take the cat to a vet to see if he/she is micro-chipped.  If the cat is not, take photos of him/her and post the found cat on social media, in the newspaper or make posters. 
Please try to find a home for the cat before you bring it to us.  Always call us in advance to see if we have room for the cat, as with any shelter, space is limited.

What should I do if I find a stray dog?

Call by-law at 705-324-9411 ext 1212.  Leave a message if it is after hours.

What are the by-laws in the City of Kawartha Lakes regarding stray and feral cats?

The City of Kawartha Lakes does not have any by-laws on stray or feral cats.  If you would like to contact the city and discuss this topic, please call them at 705-324-9411 ext 1212

What are the by-laws in the City of Kawartha Lakes regarding dogs?

Dogs must be licensed in the City of Kawartha Lakes. You can pick up a dog licence from us for $27* (for altered) $32* (for non-altered) dogs.  *Fees may change without notice.

If you find a stay or injured dog, call by-law at 705-324-9411 ext. 1212, from Monday to Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm. If there is no answer, leave a message.

I have found a dead pet, what do I do?

Please call the Roads Department at 705-324-9411


I need to surrender my pet, what is the process?

Click here to view information about Surrendering Animals.


How do I know when you are hiring?

We will have our most recent job postings posted on our homepage and on our Facebook page.

I want to volunteer, how do I get started?

We are always accepting new volunteers! Contact our volunteer coordinator at



How is HSKL funded?

We are funded by you! The community, including local organizations, retailers and amazing everyday people, help us to keep our doors open and our animals healthy. We also research and apply for grants that are available to animal welfare organizations to help cover larger expenses.

We accept third party fundraisers and we do our own fundraising. We also have a thrift shop, Second Chance, to help us produce our own income.